A Light Pasta, Casserole Dish for the Summer
Diabetic or not this time of year everyone is inclined to eat lighter. That’s because in the hot summer months you want to keep your body temperature low and stay cool. This Zucchini Lasagna recipe was originally designed for diabetics, but in reality it is a light and healthy pasta dish that could work well on any dinner table.
We’ve got it all laid out for you right here… Safe cooking and enjoy your summer!
Zucchini Lasagna Recipe
- 4 cups water
- 2 medium zucchinis, shaved into strips with a peeler, omitting center seeds
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 8 oz lean ground turkey
- 1 Tbsp Italian seasoning
- 3 cloves garlic, minced or grated
- 1/2 (24.5 oz) jar reduced-sodium marinara sauce
- 1/2 cup skim ricotta cheese
- 3 Tbsp freshly shredded parmesan cheese
- Bring the water to a boil in a large sauce pan over high heat. Add the zucchini and boil for two minutes. Drain well and set the cooked zucchini aside in a colander to continue draining.
- In a large sauté pan, add the olive oil over medium heat. Add the turkey, Italian seasoning, and garlic and sauté, breaking up the turkey to crumble it. Sauté for 5-6 minutes or until the turkey is just cooked through.
- Add the entire jar of marinara sauce and bring to a simmer. Simmer for two minutes, then stir in the drained zucchini. Continue to simmer for 2 more minutes.
- Stir in both cheeses and stir until melted.
Choices / Exchanges: 2 Nonstarchy Vegetable, 2 Lean Protein, 1 1/2 Fat