I have a confession to make, I am a diabetic with an extreme sweet tooth. I have always been fond of almost anything/everything that is sweet. Taco sauce, spaghetti sauce, sloppy joes? All better with a bit of sugar. This can obviously cause major issues when it comes to my blood sugars, so whenever I find a diabetic friendly recipe for dessert I’m more than ready to try it.
This recipe includes two of my favorite things, fruit and ice cream! Aside from that, the fact that there are only 145 calories and 30g carbs per serving makes this dessert a must try. Enjoy!
Serving Size: 1/2 cup banana mixture and 1/4 cup ice cream
- 1 8-ounce can pineapple tidbits in its own juice, drained, reserving 1/4 cup juice
- 2 ripe, not overripe, medium bananas, peeled, halved lengthwise and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon reduced-fat margarine
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup no-sugar-added vanilla or low-fat butter pecan ice cream
- Place a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until hot. Coat skillet with cooking spray, add the pineapple and cook 3 minutes or until beginning to lightly brown, stirring frequently.
- Add the bananas, margarine and cinnamon. Cook 1 minute, stirring constantly, using two utensils as you a stir fry.
- Remove from heat, add the pineapple juice and vanilla. Toss gently. Cover and let stand 3 minutes to absorb flavors.
- To serve, spoon equal amounts in each of four dessert bowls and top each with 1/4 cup ice cream.
Calories 145; calories from fat 35; total fat 4g; saturated fat 1.7g; trans fat 0g; cholesterol 15mg; sodium 45mg; total carbohydrate 30g; dietary fiber 4g; sugars 17g; protein 2g(source: https://www.sharecare.com/health/type-2-diabetes/article/diabetic-recipes-hot-pineapple-and-bananas-with-ice-cream/)