Continuing with our healthy selection of meals is this incredible baked chicken with a maple butter glaze. Enjoy!!
- 1 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 3/4 tsp ground cumin, or use chili powder
- 1 whole chicken, cut up (purchase it already cut up for greater ease)
- 2 Tbsp pure maple syrup
- 1 1/2 Tbsp trans-fat-free margarine or butter
- 1 1/2 Tbsp Dijon mustard
- Preheat the oven to 500°F. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and spray the foil with nonstick cooking spray. In a small bowl, combine the four dry spices.
- Place the chicken pieces skin side up on the baking sheet. Sprinkle and rub the spice mixture evenly over the chicken (leave the drumsticks without spices for picky eaters, if desired). Position the sheet in the upper third of the oven, about 4 inches from the heating element, and bake it, without turning it, for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan combine the maple syrup, margarine and mustard. Stir it over low heat until the margarine melts. Remove it from the heat.
After the chicken has baked for 15 minutes, remove it from the oven, brush it with the maple glaze, and bake it for 5 more minutes. Brush the chicken with the glaze again and bake 5 minutes more. Remove from the oven and serve immediately, or refrigerate for up to 3 days.
- Slow Cooker Directions: Place the chicken in the slow cooker, then sprinkle and rub the spice mixture evenly over the chicken. (Placing the chicken in the slow cooker keeps the rub contained and also eliminates mess.)
- Melt the margarine, then combine it with the maple syrup and mustard. Brush the chicken with about half of the glaze. Cook on low for 6–8 hours, or high for 3–4 hours until the chicken is cooked through.
- About half an hour before serving, brush the chicken with the remainder of the glaze. (Slow cooker cooking times may vary—get to know your slow cooker and, if necessary, adjust cooking times accordingly.)
Do Ahead Or Delegate: Combine the dry spices.
Choices: 1/2 Carbohydrate, 3 Lean Protein, 1/2 Fat
From The Six O’Clock Scramble Meal Planner by Aviva Goldfarb