14 January, 2016
Pumpkin Pie Custard
In my introductory bio I talked some about my mom’s cooking prowess. One thing for which she was outrageously well known in our rural Maryland community was her pumpkin pie. They were requested at every church supper, and any time she entered one in a County Fair baking competition every one else might as well have just gone back home, because her pumpkin pie invariably took first place. All of her kids became equally adept at making it. To put it very, very mildly, it is probably the best pumpkin pie recipe ever created!
But then, for me, diabetes came along. Oh how I do curse this disease! Mom’s pie became off limits for me. Sometimes I would still make one, but no amount of insulin could keep my particular body from spiking blood glucose to dangerous levels. So one year I decided there simply had to be a way to get the taste of her pie without all the wonderful ingredients that make it so bad for Diabetics. So I started substituting, adjusting, inventing. What I came up with is baked in custard cups with no pie crust. It’s good. In fact my husband, who typically does not compliment food, and does not fancy sweets in the first place, has said, as far as he is concerned I can make it every single day. It’s not as good as Mom’s original prize winning pumpkin pie, but it is very good. And a very reasonable amount of insulin will allow me to eat it without a blood glucose spike. Here’s my diabetes friendly pumpkin pie custard.
- 2 cups pumpkin (Not pumpkin pie filling)
- 1/2 cup stevia
- 1/2 cup brown Splenda blend
- 1/2 tsp. ginger
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 3 eggs. ( I use boxed eggs equal to 3 eggs, just to cut a few calories)
- 1 1/2 cups low fat milk
- Put all ingredients in a mixing bowl. Mix with electric mixer until very well combined and smooth.
- Pour into oven proof custard cups ( mine filled 8 Pyrex cups).
- Bake in preheated oven at 425 degrees for 12 minutes.
- Reduce heat to 350 degrees. Continue baking for 30-40 minutes or until a dinner knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Serve with lite whipped topping.