18 April, 2016
Slow Cooked Beef Brisket Sandwiches (w/ Beer)
Have a crock pot? This is a great recipe you can set up in a slow cooker in the morning and enjoy at the end of the day.
- 1 3 – 4 – pound fresh beef brisket
- 2 medium onions, thinly sliced and separated into rings
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 12 – ounce can beer
- 1/4 cup chili sauce
- 2 tablespoons no-calorie, heat-stable granular sugar substitute
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- 10 Italian bread rolls
- Trim fat from meat. If necessary, cut brisket to fit into a 3 1/2- to 6-quart slow cooker. Place the onions, bay leaf, and brisket in the cooker.
- In a medium bowl combine beer, chili sauce, sugar substitute, thyme, salt, pepper, and garlic; pour over meat.
- Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 10 to 12 hours or on high-heat setting for 5 to 6 hours.
Using a slotted spoon, transfer brisket and onions to a serving platter; cover with foil to keep warm. Discard bay leaf.
- For gravy, pour juices into a large measuring cup; skim fat. Measure 2 1/2 cups liquid; discard remaining liquid.
- In a medium saucepan stir together cornstarch and water; stir in the cooking liquid. Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly; cook and stir for 2 minutes more.
- Serve meat on bread rolls topped with gravy. Makes 10 (3 1/2 ounces cooked meat, 1/4 cup gravy, and a 2-ounce bread roll) servings.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving:
Servings Per Recipe: 10
PER SERVING: 325 cal., 8 g total fat (2 g sat. fat), 46 mg chol., 547 mg sodium, 35 g carb. (2 g fiber, 2 g sugars), 25 g pro.
(recipe sourced from: http://www.diabeticlivingonline.com/recipe/beef/brisket-in-ale)