22 February, 2016
Pork Chops Stuffed With Apples & Dates
It’s a Monday and tonight you want to start off the week with a good hearty meal that’s healthy and perfect for a diabetic diet. Well, we have the answer! These pork chops are a new twist on an old classic. The apple & date stuffing brings a unique new flavor to pork chops you may not have tried before and once you do it’s guaranteed to be in your meal rotation.
(This recipe serves 8)
- 2 Tbsp sweet Madeira wine, divided
- 2 cups chopped Gala apples, unpeeled
- 1/2 cup diced pitted dates
- 2 Tbsp coarsely chopped walnuts
- 2 Tbsp minced fresh thyme
- 1 tsp honey
- 8 (4 oz) lean boneless pork chops (about 3/4-1 inch thick)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tsp canola oil
- Combine the wine with the apples, dates, walnuts, thyme, and honey.
- Make a horizontal slit in each pork chop. Stuff equal portions of the mixture into each chop.
- Sprinkle each chop with salt and pepper.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add half the canola oil, and sear 4 of the chops for about 7 to 8 minutes per side. Add the remaining oil to the pan, and repeat with the remaining chops.
*Nutrition facts do not include added salt
Exchanges/Choices: 1 Fruit, 3 Lean Meat, 1 Fat
From The Family Classics Diabetes Cookbook by The American Diabetes Association